Year in Review
Welcome to the 2021 Baystate Health Annual Report
We are excited to share highlights of our year as we work to support our charitable mission while fulfilling our promise of advancing care and enhancing lives.
The story of Baystate Health (BH) in 2021 was again dominated by its response to the global pandemic of the novel coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, and the disease it causes, COVID-19. BH played a leading role in the deployment of the trio of COVID-19 vaccines as well as public education around their safety and effectiveness. Still, the number of patients with COVID-19 in our hospitals was twice or more than expected.
After a summer lull in 2021, COVID-19 returned in the form of the more contagious Delta variant, causing both increased epidemic spread among the unvaccinated, as well as breakthrough infections among the fully vaccinated.
We are incredibly proud of our team members and their resilience and dedication as they continued to care for patients through surge after surge of COVID-19 and its variants. Thanks to their commitment to patient care excellence, compassion, innovation, teamwork and clear communications, our teams overcame considerable challenges. These qualities enabled us to do work that saved many lives and prevented the pandemic from taking an even greater toll on our colleagues and our communities.
We invite you to look back at 2021 and explore our Annual Report through its chapters:
- COVID-19: learn how Baystate Health continued to lead the way, providing vaccines and educating communities while also facing a surge in cases due to Delta.
- Highlights: in the areas of quality, safety, experience, academic innovation, best place to work, and community connections.
- Awards: national recognitions for the quality of Baystate Health’s programs and services.
- Team Member Stories: employees share their personal Baystate Health stories.
- Financials: a letter from our CFO, and Baystate Health’s financial statements, graphs, and auditor’s report.
- About Us: more about our leadership and Baystate Health entities.
As Baystate Health reemerges from the pandemic, we remain dedicated to our mission to improve the health of the people in our communities every day, with quality and compassion.
Thank you for your continued support and interest in our health system.
Mark A. Keroack, MD, MPH
Chief Executive Officer,
Robert J. Bacon
Board of Trustees